Monday, July 14, 2008

I made this


you can read the story I mentioned about the cowboy here

Saturday night my coworker pointed to a cab and said "I would like to think that cab goes somewhere, even when I'm not around." He pointed at a church too, and said "I like to think the church still exists, even when I'm at home. You need hope you know. I'm just not sure I can handle a subjective reality." I just really liked looking at the church, and I just thought of the church now, how it was when I saw it, and I hope it is there, too. And it might be. Or might not be. Either way, there is hope. And that is something to have.

In an interview Lydia Davis says, "I'm tempted to say we're all very uncomfortable existentially or something in this life." And that makes a lot of sense to me. I guess that is why her characters make sense to me, and why I miss the people that I miss, because they are willing to talk about that sort of thing, and sometimes find it hard to talk about anything else.

No comments: