Tuesday, August 19, 2008

secret #1

I always really wanted to be a dancer. I still wish it could have been something I pursued. Since I have moved to New York, I have been asked several times if I was a dancer. I felt really excited that I might look like a dancer. I guess, really, I wouldn't want to rely so heavily on my body to do what I loved to do. I feel like if something happened to your body and you couldn't dance anymore, life would be really confusing. You would also probably walk around really aware of your body, probably too aware, because you would have to be conscious of movement. I think, for me, writing is escaping so you can continue living. Lynda Barry talks about this. Other writers have talked about this. I think even in that Philip Glass documentary, Glass talks about this. I like the idea of being able to leave the physical realm. But maybe, when a dancer is really dancing, they leave the physical realm just like a writer does. They enter some other space, yet are still able to operate their body somehow. I don't know. I'd like to hear a dancer talk about dancing, I guess.